Twice Blessed


Luckily, after an exhilarating Wheel of Fortune-like novel assignment, I was assigned to read "Twice Blessed" by the renowned author Ninotchka Rosca. It was the first time I had heard her name, and it sounded Japanese to me, which made me wonder if she was a Filipino or someone who consistently greets Arigato Gozaimasu with a smile. But indeed, she is Filipino, a proud Filipino (insert IMAFILIPINA song by Marina Summers).  After some research, I discovered that Ninotchka is a Russian word (not Japanese, which I initially assumed) meaning "little girl" and "great-great-granddaughter." Clever! Let us set aside her name for now and dive into her novel "Twice Blessed."

 

A few minutes after bidding goodbye to the Saturday morning tutorial, I immediately searched for this novel online. I was hoping to find a free PDF copy, yes FREE, to save a few bucks and spend it, at least, on a delicious iced latte while reading the free PDF. It is a money-saving hack in this country where inflation is 100% real. Unfortunately, I couldn't find one, so I ordered the book online.

 

At last, after a week of anticipation, I hold Ninotchka's novel in my hands, which I ordered online (insert cute Shopee notification sound), and I am thrilled to read this masterpiece. I usually inspect the book's exterior, reading the blurb to glean some background on the novel's content. This novel carries a political theme, making it even more intriguing. It holds significance in this period, as the current head of state is the "son" of the former dictator.

 

First, do I have issues with the length of this novel? No, two hundred eighteen pages in total is fair for Ninotchka to create this masterpiece. Yet, these pages alone are insufficient to comprehensively depict the twenty-one years of the late dictator's regime. And to accomplish this, a series titled "Series of Unfortunate Events of Filipino People" would be essential, just my two cents.

 

Second, what are my expectations in this novel? I expect drama, perhaps even exaggerated drama. For instance, a heated argument over bland bagnet kare-kare because the household chef ran out of salt. I am also eager to witness an internal dilemma one of the characters faces, such as deciding which expensive jewelry to bring on the trip to Hawaii. Should it be hand-carried or not? Something along those lines.

 

Third, do I have concerns about the theme of this novel? Not at all. I thoroughly enjoy exploring political events and systems, regardless of whether they closely mirror current realities. It's intriguing how history often repeats itself.

 

Finally, am I concerned about the source of the author's voice? No, I am not. Does it convey a bourgeois or refined demeanor? Absolutely! Based on my research, Ninotchka Rosca completed her education at the University of the Philippines Diliman and pursued a career in journalism following her graduation. She pursued further studies in Asian Studies and departed from the Philippines due to the Marcos Dictatorship. And I can affirm that, yes, I viewed her as posh, given the financial challenges of leaving the country during Martial Law.

 

As I prepare to resume reading Ninotchka's masterpiece (still in chapter ten), I'm eager and intrigued by the unexpected twists and inner conflicts it unfolds. I anticipate uncovering the story's shocking, bold, and intriguing elements and gaining deeper insights with each page. Arigato Gozaimasu! (I'm not Japanese, by the way) 

Comments

Popular Posts